Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Five Stages

Wow, how long has it been? Two months now? Sorry about that, but I've got a good reason after all, get ready cause this is gonna be a long one.

First and most important: we have only two days until the world ends. No, I'm not talking that Mayan Calender garbage, I'm talking writing on the wall, under my nose this entire time. Around the start of November, I happened to review the blog, and what do I see? A lot of posts I didn't write. What's worse? They're from two-hundred and fifty years in the future. (There's also some posts from fifty or so years ago but those aren't that important). At first I just thought it was a glitch or something until I tried highlighting it. Apparently some entity known as Níðhöggr is going to eat our world hollow, all because of lack of water or something, its hard to make out. I went through all the stages of course:
therightmaninthewrongplacecanmakeallthedifferenceintheworld
Denial- After reading all of them I tried deleting them, thinking it was some punk hacker. But try as I might, I couldn't get the horrid things to go away. They just popped back in a second later. Which, if it really is from the future, makes sense, since it won't be written for two and a half centuries. I showed it to Surge, who suddenly became very upset. He told me that he's been having a recurring dream that sounded eerily like the future posts, and then said I should cross reference with Walking Beneath the Sky. Sure enough:
wakeupBartholomew
Woe, woe, woe! Ashes and dust! Fire and pain! Betide [unintelligible] moons of wrath... but when? soon,now!? nonononono with sadness,withlast! last guard falls [unintelligible] come the end of all fire... FIRE FIRE FIRE! consumeconsumeconsume eatstheworldhollow the treenomore the treenomore [festering?] judgment uponu sall maw of flame whensheisdeaddeaddead eat us all [rest is unintelligible] blodied eyes, and, and THIRST! thirstthirstthirstthirstthirst everywhere even now everywhere! hunger burning hunger never waking always watching everywhere no clouds no rain eternal flame... all your fault... consumeconsumeconsume...

Anger- That's all the evidence I needed at that point. Somehow, I had to save the world, and I hadn't the first clue how to go about it. I got angry, very angry. It wasn't a sudden fit either, it was a slow, steady boiling temper, an ever rising wrath as each second gave new insight to the unfairness of it all. Why me!? What did I do to deserve this!? Why couldn't it be someone else!? WHY!?!?!? I didn't shout, no, I didn't even stomp around. I just looked at the walls and steeped myself in self-righteous fury. This went on for about a day or two (without food and little rest), before...
wakeupandsmelltheashes
Bargaining- Religion's a private matter for me, and I'm sure no one wants or needs to know just how many fantastic and empty promises I made that night.

Depression- The worst week of my life, hands down. I managed to choke down some food from time to time, but the abject misery I was feeling forced it back up again; and I roamed the halls for seven consecutive nights.What was the point of flailing around in vain? We were all gonna die, ore worse, and nothing I could do would help in the least... what's the point... etc. etc. In fact, if it wasn't for Surge, I probably would have taken my own life. But November started winding down after all... and I arrived at:

Acceptance- Somehow, someway, I had to be the one to stop this thing. No matter what happens, I'm not going to back down. This Nidhoggr wants a fight? He/she/it is in for a big one.

And so Surge and I went to work. The house is now a fortress. Tricks and traps out the wazoo, you name it, we got it. just two more days until the end of the world, and I'm ready.

Two more days and I'll have my revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment